Tips to Extend the Life of Your Vehicle’s Transmission
A little maintenance and care of your vehicle’s transmission can go a long way when it comes to extending its life. Below are some quick tips for you to easily and effectively extend the life of your transmission:
- Check and change your transmission fluid regularly. Barrett Transmission recommends you check your fluid once a month and change it every 30,000 to 60,000 miles depending on your vehicle’s make and model. Call Barrett Transmission today to learn what’s recommended for your vehicle.
- Add a dedicated transmission cooler if you tow a lot or have heavy loads
- Do not exceed your vehicle’s Gross Vehicle Weight while towing or hauling
- Install a temperature gauge to inspect your transmission’s fluid temperature while driving this can make you more aware and prevent overheating.
- Set your e-brake while parked (especially on an incline) to put the weight of your vehicle on the brake instead of the transmission’s parking pawl
- When reversing, always come to a complete stop before shifting into Drive “D”
- Check your tire’s air pressure as low tire pressure causes an extra load on your transmission, MPG, and your tires of course
- Install a deep transmission pan to hold more ATF as well as provide extra cooling capability